Sclerotherapy Vein Treatment
Sclerotherapy is a non-surgical way to shrink away those unsightly veins. Sclerotherapy treats spider veins by injecting a special sclerosant solution into the veins, causing them to shrink and collapse. Over the next three to six months, the collapsed veins will dissolve and your body will naturally absorb them back into your body.
With no need for any anaesthetic, we inject the sclerosant solution into the identified veins which begins to damage, collapse and dissolve them. To make sure that we eliminate as much of the appearance of the spider veins as possible, a number of injections may be required along the length of the vein. This will ensure that complete closure is achieved, and you get the result you want. Sometimes you might have some trickier veins to eliminate, like venuous lakes or blue veins. These can also be treated.
- The whole procedure normally only takes about 30-45 minutes. The procedure is performed in a consulting room and usually causes minimum temporary discomfort.
- Immediately following treatment veins may become swollen and bruised, and it is normal for the area treated to have a raised appearance at the injection site. You might feel some temporary discomfort and itchiness initially. This will disappear in time, leaving you with the clear skin you’re looking for.
- After treatment, you will need to wear compression stockings day and night for the first few days, and then just during the day for another one to two weeks.
- We recommend a leisurely 30 minute walk every day for the first two weeks. You should avoid strenuous exercise for two to three weeks after treatment.
- Though you may want to show off your legs right away, avoid direct sun or sun bed exposure on areas showing bruising or pigmentation, which we can help you identify. We recommend you don’t engage in air travel for two to four weeks afterwards, in order to reduce the risk of deep vein thrombosis.
- Follow up treatments are usually scheduled for six to eight weeks after the procedure.